A Mother's Love

A mother's love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible. (Anonymous)

Monday, February 18, 2013

What Is A Mom Made Of? Sugar & Spice and everything nice...

Being a mom of four is a life full of adventure and enjoyment for me. Yes, I have my ups and downs, but I've learned to laugh at myself and have patience among other things.  I'm reminded frequently not take things so serious all the time and often catch a glimpse of how the world looks through the eyes of my children. Being able to enjoy those little moments as they come at me, is what makes being a mom so worth it. I've been feeling truly blessed this way over these 3 past years that I've been able to work from home around them. I've realized how much I enjoy being with them more and that I don't want to let so many of those little moments slip through my fingers anymore. Those moments do pass all too quickly and I know I can never get them back.
 
I love knowing that I'm able to enjoy more special family time and giggles with my kiddos and have more memories of it. I'm there for my older two girls when they really need me most as they start to go through all those changes and near closer to the tweens and teen years. Yes, those years are coming and I'm wondering If I'll be prepared. For my three year old boy/girl twins, it's been so enjoyable for me to watch them grow and learn, and to teach them fun things. Enjoying the simple things with them like a funny little nursery rhyme. Here's one I always liked:


 
 
 
 
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
and everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of.
 

 
 
What are little boys made of?
Slugs and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails,
That's what little boys are made of.
 
 
 
So what happens to little girls who grow up to be moms? Are we still sugar and spice? I guess that depends on the mom. Being a mom is definitely a tough and often times thankless job. Yet, it can be so rewarding at the same time. Being a mom to me means that when I pull off the couch cushions to vacuum up the hidden crumbs, my kids see a hidden trampoline and pillow fort. Not something I'm ever excited about when I'm envisioning a broken couch. It means that when I move the table and chairs to sweep and mop they quickly form a Choo-Choo train and hop aboard. It means that usually after I finally do get the vacuuming done, the house picked up and bathrooms cleaned that I may find some new treasures behind me. Like a trickle of polly pocket pieces down the hall , a little box of nerds candy spilled and rolling off the table onto the floor or the bag of legos dumped out again. Whatever it may be I usually know I can expect it. That, I say, is when I'm full of a little spice and maybe not so nice. I usually have to get after them, especially my 3 year old twins and make them clean up again but it is  how they learn. However, what I do cherish from it is the presence of their radiant little spirits full of endless giggles, big smiles, piles of hugs and kisses they give me. I think those little tokens of appreciation I have for them is what fills me up with sweetness, and goodness, and everything nice. So I guess I would say as a mom I'm my own perfect mixture of sugar and niceness with a pinch of spice from time to time!  Their daddy on the other hand...well, let's just say  he has his own special blend of snails and puppy dog tails too!
 

01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18